Skip to main content

Depression|what is depression|how to overcome depression|ways to overcome

Depression

Depression is classified as a mood disorder. It may be described as feelings of sadness, loss, or anger that interfere with a person’s everyday activities.
People experience depression in different ways. It may interfere with your daily work, resulting in lost time and lower productivity. It can also influence relationships and some chronic health conditions.
In today's generation depression is a virus that eats people from inside(especially the teenagers). Many people suffer from depression because of there studies, office work or home conflicts, in short when any kind of pressure occurs in life people suffer from depression.
Depression is a serious illness that takes life of people by there own hands. So we have to be strong and fight with this.

Ways to overcome from depression
There are various ways to overcome from depression and suicidal thoughts. So be strong be hustle and follow along..

1. Your goals: Find workable goals that give you a sense of accomplishment.

Most people feel guilty when talking about goals because they set unreasonable or unworkable goals. A goal is workable if it’s:

  1. Something you can control (i.e., it doesn’t depend on others)
  2. Manageable (i.e., not overwhelming)
  3. Realistic for you (not for someone else)
  4. Measurable (i.e., you know whether or not it is done or getting done)

If something goes wrong with your goal, adopt a “what can I learn from this?” attitude (versus a judgmental, “this is why I’m horrible” attitude). Also, be careful when comparing your progress with others. We usually compare our biggest weakness with another person’s biggest strength. 

2. Visualize a happy memory


When a patient continually revisits a painful memory (say, of a romantic rejection or failed business enterprise), it can tip him or her into near emotional catatonia. I say, “Wait, before you ‘go down the rabbit hole’ and all the dark feelings overwhelm you, close your eyes and go to a happy memory.”

*Paul remembered, “When I graduated from college, looked out at the audience and saw my family looking so proud, I felt amazing and powerful.” I said, “Great, go there. Let’s relive that wonderful experience.”  As he described details from that lovely day (his mother’s periwinkle blue dress; standing on the stage holding his diploma…) his posture went from slumped over to peacock proud. He actually smiled.

I suggested, “The moment you feel yourself sliding back to an awful memory that takes you under, take a breath and instantly conjure up  graduation day. Counter the gloom with an immediate dose of positivity.

3. Tell Me Something Good


 A depressed person has earned a PhD in The Art and Science of Self-Hatred. When I ask, “How do you see yourself?” I get answers like: “I’m boring.” “I’m a coward.”  “I’m ugly.”  “I’m not smart.”  To the speaker, these sentiments are absolute truths; his or her sense of identity, a soul-less place to live that is familiar, thus offering  a ‘comfortable discomfort’, with no exit door.  As long as these annihilating beliefs rule your self-image, nothing good can break through.

When I ask, “Tell me good qualities about yourself,” I am initially greeted by silence. Then I hear a halting, “I’m kind” or “I’m caring.”  If the patient gets stuck, I help out: “You’re a loving mother.” “You are a survivor.” “You are a nurturer” “You are super considerate.”  “You are reliable”… 

As we construct a list, I ask the patient to write down the wonderful attributes and keep repeating them when the ‘toxic wheel of self-hating talk’ begins. I suggest asking friends and family members to email a list of positive qualities they value in my patient.

Comments

Post a Comment

If you wanna know more about this topic or any other topic just comment below.

Popular posts from this blog

Hikikomori|horror stories|English stories

I'm a psychiatrist by profession and, over the course of my carreer . I have dealt with many people who have strange and unusual problems. However, one case in particular disturbed me more than any other. There was a family of three who lived next door to me. They were a married couple in their last 50s. And they had a son who was about 30 years old . The son was what we call in Japan a " Hikikomori ". Someone who is introverted reclusive and isolated . Someone who has withdrawn from social contacts. I didn't hear about his condition directly from his parents . I assumed they didn't want to discuss it .In Japan, people are very concerned about appearance and having a son who is hikikomori is an embarrassment . As the days passed , their son went out less and less . Eventually, he never came out of the house at all . Every night , from his bedroom window, the furious Voice of his  mother could be heard screaming and shouting at him. Whenever

Advantages of taking pulses

Pulses (aka chickpeas, lentils, dry peas and beans) are the dry, edible seeds of the plants in the legume family. pulses provide protein, complex carbohydrates, and several vitamins and minerals. Like other plant-based foods, they contain no cholesterol and little fat or sodium. Pulses are usually rich in protein and contains little amount of fat.  Advantages of taking pulses:- Good for Your Heart Including more pulses in your diet may lower your risk of cardiovascular disease, according to the Linus Pauling Institute. Pulses are high in fiber. For example, a 1 cup serving of cooked lentils contains more than 15 g of fiber, meeting 60 percent of your daily value. The fiber in the pulses may improve heart health by lowering cholesterol levels. Pulses also are high in potassium. Including more potassium-rich foods in your diet can lower blood pressure by counteracting the effects of sodium. Lower Risk of Diabetes Pulses are a low-glycemic index food

LIFT|horror story|stories in english

Stories in English|Stories|Scary stories It was drizzling while I was driving on my way back to home. It was already 11:30 PM And I was late from my work.  I turned on the radio and began listening to the songs playing. Suddenly something got my attention. It was an announcement on the radio. It said about a psycho serial killer who was on a killing spree since few days.  The broadcaster announced -"Initial anticipation reveals that the serial killer stops the cars for a lift, just to enter it and after some casual conversation brutally kills his victims with a hidden sharp knife.  The killer usually appears in lonely streets and late at night. There's no motive behind the killings. Police are investigating. "I continued driving for a while until my eyes got stuck on a man besides the road waving his hand hastily to stop the car.  {Scary stories} "Please stop the car, it's very urgent. My daughter is very ill and i am waiting here for half an hour for a vehicle&q